Friday, January 9, 2009

way to long for a first post...

Well, here I am...Its 2:15 or so in the morning and I have class tomorrow morning, and yet I find myself here. Blogging. I least I think its blogging. I dunno what else I would call it I guess...

So, Let me tell you how I got to this point. I planed to have a look at either patchwork girl or wunderkammer today, basically so I would know what I was going to be going up against tomorrow, for this weekend is already devoted to the NFL playoffs, and I can't have classes getting in the way of that. Well, around 7:30 I decided to take a look at patchwork girl. I was immediately confused and instantly distracted by the fact that I realized that the pens were on. And that was the end of that. I spent the next few hours watching the penguins, and then feeling disappointed, I turned it over to comedy central for The Daily Show and The Colbert Report to alieve my newest wave of depression. That kept me occupied until midnight. Then I realized, as I often do, that I had once again shoved school work aside. So before I 'i mo codladh' (-means 'went to sleep' [sort of]**, an Irish plug - {my 2nd language of choice}...so take THAT german...haha) I decided to take a look at wunderkammer, because patchwork girl is something that is going to take no small amount of energy to figure out, and at midnight-i wasn't going back to that...

I was enthralled almost immediately. It was deliciously disturbing, and yet, through the use of the innocent childlike vision that I felt she wrote from, brought me to that same peace of mind that was so common to me as a child. She wrote most of her story looking back to how she saw things as a child. I believe that even if you can't remember it, we all once looked at our body and the world around us in the same way she does in wunderkammer, experimenting with the always fascinating world around us in every way we could think of. I laughed out loud at parts of her story, and other parts I related to in a way that I didn't expect to.

And before I go on, people who haven't read it yet should probably stop reading this now and go read wunderkammer. What I say should not influence your reaction to it, but I have learned from the past that talking about something before someone experiences it does influence most people...

Anyways, I related to this story, because I do remember experimenting with simple things, like how she talked about her eyes seeing two different things at once. Just this past week, I was bored in one of my classes and I did that same thing I have been doing since I was a kid, playing with the 2 different visions of my eyes. We all did things like this, whether people will admit it or not with their 'newfound' embarrassment they gained by growing up is another matter.

I also related to the somewhat disturbing aspect of the story a little more than I would like to have. As she progresses (regardless of what order you read the story in, which is another amazing feat of how well written it is) she slowly become a little bit of a masochist. She is a regular girl who desperately wants to be different, and is trapped in a conforming world. She enjoys pain and blood a little more than the 'norm' might be considered. I found that I agreed to her, although only to a point, about some of the things she talked about that others might find disturbing. I, somewhat like her, have always liked the feel and warmth of blood running from an open cut, and the beauty of the cut itself. And it is my person belief that if anyone who has blood running from a cut would calm down about being cut and seeing blood, that they would enjoy it's feel as well.

Well, thats my story of how I am up now at almost 3 AM writing about something that I was just going to look at briefly and then forget about until another day. But who am I kidding, I would still be up anyways watching re-runs on tv all night...

And then I would also like to mention just for the record, that I probably won't be leaving nearly as detailed blogs throughout the semester. In fact, I am usually proud getting in a paragraph (bare minimum paragraph, that is) when I am forced to write about something I don't care about. And I apologize, but I will write (still as little as possible to get my points across...but, as you can see...) these long drawn out rants that most people do not want to take the time to read if I find the subject matter interesting. Don't worry though, I will be in no way be offended if you choose to skip my blogs...in no way at all

-godhammel

**[Irish is a funny language...I kind of paraphrased because it doen't really mix well with English...then again, what language does?]

2 Comments:

Blogger fxal.phitness said...

hey this was great!
maybe i just love to read and learn about people.
Every day i find it truly amazing just how intricate the "sociocultural affects" effect us

i personally allow too much externalization be my internalization, which leads to false perceptions... it truly is a world of our own

"Whether you think you can or cannot, you are correct"

January 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Jamie Skye Bianco said...

I loved reading this as well and if you need for me not to give you exact instructions in order to "rant" as you say...consider it done.

What a terrific and generous response...i hope there will be more and super long and yes we do like to read them.

j

January 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home