Monday, January 12, 2009

Literal Girl Lost in Library of Babel

Catchy title, right? I tried at least...everyone else's titles were fun and imaginative, and being the literal one that I am, I did what I could with the whole "creative" thing =)

So, after the busy weekend of preparing for my future classes & junior/senior year/grad school, playing in the pep band at the men's and women's basketballs games (I'm a Pitt trumpet player - full of the ego and onoxiousness if you've ever met one), watching the Steeler's work their way to the superbowl, and dropping/adding classes for the sake of my own sanity, I finally got the chance to handle this blogging and write a run-on sentence for everyone to read.

As I sat down to read this "Library of Babel" text, I saw the picture at the top of the page and stared at it for a few minutes and asked myself..."Oh man, what am I about to get myself into with this?' The picture blew my mind. It immediately reminded me of those Escher pictures that don't contain an ending or a beginning. I kind of went with that theory for the rest of the story (in combination with the first line reference to the "library" being synonymous with "universe).

The Library of Babel is/was a tough read for me. It was a real stretch trying to even picture such a place in my mind, let alone trying to put myself into the story as if it were all happening to me (I like to do that kind of thing when I read, it makes it more personal - though I guess not one of the better tactics to tackeling reads like this). Maybe I missed some sort of deeper meaning - which wouldn't be surprising - but I just took this story as a reference of one man's attempt trying to find the answer to questions about the universe almost as (ready for this?) a labarynth of impossibility.

Oh, I like that: a labarynth of impossibility. Sounds all....mysterious and intimidating.

Finally, I will say that this story frustrated me a little bit. I am not a fan of philosophy - being the literal scientist that I am - which this story tended to touch on (or maybe in my ignorance may have even been the theme). It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Let's just say, I'm ready for the reading, "My Body," which deems itself to be a little more of my style.

-EmDeLeo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home