Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Patchwork Girl: Like Navigating The Bermuda Triangle

Reading through PG is quite the trip for me. After sitting through a one and a half hour lecture about chromosomes and genetic defects and cellular suicide, Shelley Jackson amuses me through - what seems like - a million small bits of information in one file.

I was kind of confused as to what to do at first. So I clicked. I don't know what I clicked, I just did (looking back on it, probably not the best tactic), though I am pretty confident it was the "graveyard" section. Being taken by each click to a different part of the story (a different story about how one body came from many), I became a little aggravated with all the links that took me to the same place (maybe I just have bad choices with words to click). I also feel like there's a ton to click on, but I'm just not doing it right. Frustration.

After finally getting the hang ot the program, I immediately thought of the game I used to play in the computer lab...the one where you sit next to a friend and you both start on the same wikipedia page (for example, a page about "Lucky Charms") and you both have to make it to another page (for example, a page about "ghost hunting"). The rule is though, that you can only use the text links inside the page to navigate through wikipedia (the first person to the designated page wins, of course). If you haven't played this game yet, I highly suggest it, it's a brilliant time waster and really shows you how so many things can be inter-related.

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm more amused with how the story comes together with technology than what the story is really trying to tell me. Blame my short attention span, but the whole "six degrees of seperation" theory is way more interesting here than the details of zombified remains and resurrections. I can't seem to stop clicking, so much so that I think the people next to me in the Cathedral are getting tired of the 'tap tap tap' on my laptop.

Though fun, I tend to prefer more methodical ways of accomplishing things. Since I keep backtracking to the same page, I feel like I'm wasting time that I could be spending actually reading the parts that I haven't hit yet. I mean, I could go on to another section of the story, but I don't want to move on if I haven't quite gotten everything from the first section.

Geez...this feels like it's going to take forever to get through. Well...here I go, back to the realm of PG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home