Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My contempt for machines runs deeper...

There are times, like when I'm stranded somewhere and a cell phone becomes immensely convenient, when technology is a godsend, something I can't imagine living without. Other times though, not so much.

For example, I've been trying to get this Patchwork Girl CD-ROM to work and I've had little success. For some reason it doesn't want to go beyond the first progress bar. A minor dilemma, right? Well considering I just got the disc TODAY the situation has reach urgent. So I call a friend, ask if I can use his computer (because the problem must be with mine, the disc worked for others). I walk across Oakland, get to my friends house, after a brief conversation I pull out the CD-ROM.
"Whats that?" he asks. I tell him its why I came over.
"Oh, well all I have is a laptop without a CD-Drive."
FAIL.

So I call others, no answer, or the "I won't be home for awhile" excuse. Excellent, all according to plan.

If you feel bad for me now (and you should), then my second anecdote will make you consider opening a Foundation in my name. On Saturday I tried to listen to the Coover lecture on evolving narrative technologies . I'm all prepared when I click the video and...my speakers stop working. So I had to figure that shit out real quick (which lead to me borrowing speakers). No worries Jamie, I still got to listen to the guy talk about how the novel I'm writing will be obsolete in 25 years. Word.

Not trying to break the theme of underachieving and misfortune or anything but I did read my body- a wunderkammer. Here are some thoughts that I jotted down in my journey.

-a lot of the writing seems to stem from childhood memories, which I guess technically would make this a memoir
-a tail...really?
-and you friend did WHAT with it?
-I've never thought I'd encounter anyone trying to romanticize leg hair
-that urine is tagged at an unbelievably fair price.

Overall an enjoyable and interesting read. Shelley Jackson really seems to love to put herself out there. There were a few details I read that shocked me thoroughly. At least it wasn't the most embarrassing thing I've seen a woman do with her body (was that in bad taste? If I have to ask shouldn't I know?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home